Sunday, February 8, 2009

Still Making It Up

I figured once we had our script in order, the rehearsal process for this play would morph into the typical rehearsal routines. That has not been the case so far. We are still playing with the script, not specifically the lines so much as the blocking and characters. It feels more like rehearsal for a film -- we are defining what these characters would and not do. As a group and individually, we are constantly making discoveries about how the action of this story unfolds, scene by scene. It is a very exciting and refreshing process. I feel very engaged in this rehearsal process, and that I have more creative responsibilities in this production than just 'actor,' even now. It is an empowering position that I share with the ensemble.

Good times.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad that the sense of discovery is alve. When I proposed this project like 6 months ago, I wanted to make an opportunity for us to all work together to build something from the ground up.

    Now that we have the foundation and the frame, we've still got a lot to construct. We get to build our house and then live in it! Like what James says about his dream house:

    "it's big, and it's full of my friends all the time...we're like a family...we all work together to take care of chores and have holidays together, and all that."

    -jenny

    ReplyDelete